Tons of them in fact, have started compiling a list of “low cost – great fun” activities you can enjoy…Readers can share their list to be added as comments.
- Star , Artificial Satellites, Solar-System Planets Gazing: –
Sky gazing is my favourite, since i discovered that it is so easy, and requires almost Zero Investment. Couple of my favourite sightings are.
- You can actually spot Our neighbouring planets as Venus, Saturn, Jupiter, Mercury easily with naked eyes. Just download a free and reliable software from http://www.stellarium.org/, specify your location as mumbai/(or your City) in Settings.
- Also most of the star signs (Virgo, Scorpio, Leo are what i have manged to spot so far). ( Stellarium will help you with the same for all Zodiacs). You can try your luck to spot Polaris from a hill top.
- The Icing is the spotting of ISS . . Just register your location http://www.heavens-above.com/. ISS is the International Space Station. The Largest and possibly the best Space station made by Mankind till date. What is ISS
- With little efforts you can spot Iridium Flares. Check the same in http://www.heavens-above.com/. These are a group of Artificial Satellites, which produce a sparkle in the sky. A Timetable is available which shows when you can see bright flashes in the Sky. What is Iridium.
- Wanna Spot Meteor-Showers and other exotic events in Sky. Join for a Trek with an experienced group of Astronomers. Low cost, Great frills. http://www.khagolmandal.com/. Typical Treks are organized during Clear Sky days from Dec to May.
- Kanheri Caves near Borivili. Great Place to See Buddhist Caves, Trek, Swim in River. I spotted deers crossing the main road near the final steep climb to caves once. Go ahead try your luck.
- Tungareshwar – Near Vasai. Lowest cost Treks during Monsoon.
- Visit to Salt Pan – Bhyender East and other stations after Mira Road.
- Haji Ali. Watch the spectacle of High-Tide and Low-Tide. Every 6 Hours, the Sea will cover the Bridge, and then open up after 6 hours. The Bridge opens twice in a day.
- Warli Village – The 10th Century Art and Tribal Culture. Must see near Dhanu/Palghar. For group bookings. Check http://Grassroutes.co.in
- Million Fireflies in June. You actually can see the complete Mountain range covered with millions of Fireflies. This wonder happens only in June. We call them Taare Zameen Par. Check out http://grassroutes.co.in
- Nehru Science Centre & planetarium : Must see for Kids over 10 years.
Readers can kindly leave comments with their favourite activities and places.
Couple of Blogs i liked for unusual stuff in Mumbai. (Readers Discretion is Requested, I dont claim any responsibility for the outcomes).